Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dealing with students.. part 2

One 1st year student came to see me on monday after I summoned her for missing my lecture last week. This was our second meeting because of the same reason. She told me that day that she was having period pain and could not make it for the class. I told her that having period and period pain are inevitable..hence, i cannot accept her m.c. for that reason. Later I verified from the clinic she was actually having tonsil and the m.c is admissible then. Then I persuaded her to tell me what made her missing of my classes and sometimes I could see her face was not in the mood of learning. No smile, no bright eyes, no laugh and no feeling.. All I could see was her gloomy eyes, looking straight to the whiteboard or to me with no sense.. not at all. After much persuasion..she told me that she has no interest in Law but her dad is the one who wants her to pursue this course. In our 1st meeting she already told me that but I thought this would go away as time goes. It seemed that she determined to change course. I guess she should change course and I assured her that I would help her on this. I called her dad yesterday and he finally agreed with me after much persuasion.

This is the case of doing something which is against your own will. As a parent, it is wrong to force or persuade her to study the course which she has no interest. This will cause a tremendous pressure on her and she would anything such as missing the class, incomplete homework and eventually would give trouble the teacher and classmates. the duty of parents is to guide and encourage her in all her undertakings. I hope this matter could be resolved ASAP so that the coming semester her dream to pursue other course will turn out to be true.

Last 2 months I was called to attend the meeting of readmission students. Majority of these students telling the committee that the reason why they failed the subjects and sometimes barred from sitting in the exam because Law is not their cup of tea. However, their parents insisted that they should give a try and try and try..and they keep on failing.. *sigh* I felt very sorry to them when i was at the meeting room. They had to defend their case for the sake of their parents. of course all of them cried when we asked them, " tell us why we should re admit you after you have been dismissed. Defend your case" When I see this my heart cried and to certain extent I cannot help myself as well..I cried too.

You have to do something that you loved most so that you have the passion in doing that. At the same time, you will always give your best shot on that. When my son, wafi asked me, " Mama, what do you want me to be after my graduation?" My answer was, " All i want is you to take care of Solat, read Quran regularly, respect others, love and make doa to Mama and papa" That is all about it.. Then the song by Doris Day was played.." Que Sera Sera...whatever will be..will be.. the future is not in our hands to see..Que Sera, sera.."

3 comments:

WaN dAn Ti said...

kdg2 ader juga student yang suka ambik kesempatan...sekira pensyarah x ketatkan peraturan...
tapi semua bergantung pada diri pelajar...nak jadi org..atau nak jadi aper..

WaN dAn Ti said...

dulu saya pun student...
i love to have
lecturer yang...berperaturan...
my be thiz reason....
saya berjaya...ari ini

ramizah said...

wan dan tie: terimakasih bagi pandangan dan berkongsi pengalaman..